In February of the school year, Year 9 undertake an internal examination in order to assist them with their option choices. Years 7 and 8 undertake their end of year examinations in June.
Year 7 History examination
- Ten knowledge questions – choosing the answers from the word box
- The Norman Conquest – examine captions from the Bayeux Tapestry.
- Castles – where would you build a castle? ; methods of attacking and defending a castle.
- Life in a medieval town – use the sources and your own knowledge to write an account of life in a town.
- The Black Death – different types/symptoms; use the evidence to explain the effects of the Black Death.
- King John – use the evidence to assess whether John was a good or bad king.
Year 8 History examination
- The Spanish Armada – write an account explaining why it was sent, what happened and what the results were.
- The Elizabethan poor – explain why many were poor in Elizabethan times; use the sources to explain attitudes towards the poor.
- King Charles I – use the sources and interpretations to assess attitudes towards him over time.
- The medieval view of the world and the Voyages of Discovery – how and why did knowledge of the world change between 1300 and 1600; why did people go on the Voyages of Discovery?
- Seven knowledge questions – covering aspects of what you have learnt this year.
Year 9 History examination
This examination is meant to prepare pupils for GCSE and the majority of the question stems are those which are on the GCSE History papers.
- Five knowledge questions – covering aspects of what you learnt this year.
- The Domestic System – what do the sources tell us about the Domestic System.
- The Agricultural Revolution – choose three out of four issues to do with the Agricultural Revolution and explain the connections between them.
- Problems with Parliament – analyse the source and explain why Parliament needed to be reformed (changed) during this period.
- Social Life – analyse Hogarth’s Gin Lane and explain what the purpose of the drawing was.
- Changes in transport – examine the two pictures and explain how transport changed during this period and why the changes were important.
- The Factory System – examine two contrasting sources to do with conditions in the factories and explain which one is more useful to an historian.